Fi

Hello. You're probably here because I'm avoiding you and you want to know what I'm up to. Well, I'm avoiding you.




Layout : CRUSHthespeaker
Blogger : 53-percent






I Am Void of Love in My Being
Sunday, June 13, 2010 11:00 PM


I recently watched a talkshow about pregnancy, and the host was mentioning how she got a call from the nurse while she was pregnant, saying that her amniocentesis test showed that she had a higher chance of carrying a Down's Syndrome baby. After that host hung up the call, she started to cry.

But I couldn't figure out why she cried. I was genuinely perplexed.
1. Did she cry because she felt sorry for herself that she might give birth to a baby that was "abnormal"?
2. Did she cry because she didn't want the trouble that came if the baby really had Down's?
3. Did she cry because she loved the baby and wanted it to be as healthy as it could be?

The most politically correct reason I could think of was Reason #3. But then again, mothers don't know their babies until they arrive. They've never met them, never heard their voices, never seen their faces. Why do mothers love their unborn babies? Scientifically speaking, they're just masses of cells. I'm really trying not to sound unkind, but really, aren't mothers human too? Aren't they selfish at times? Why cry for that human being you don't even know? Why not cry for yourself?

Reading Jodi Picoult's "Handle with Care" has caused all these questions to spring into my head. Because the book really touches on issues that I've long questioned but never really gotten answers for. I haven't finished the book, but hopefully at the end of it I will be able to find them.

Also, if parents say they want another baby, does it mean that they are tired of looking after the same one? I asked this question sometime ago on this blog, and I'm still looking for an answer.

God I sound like an unsympathetic, loveless bitch.