|
Titus Andronicus
Monday, July 05, 2010 10:21 PM
I'm posting this for the second time, because the more I look at it, the more I love it. It's a pretty brutal scene, but I love that it comprises of almost everything that we've learned in Lit class. Metaphors, allusions, similes, ellipsis, caesura, imagery, enjambment, pathos and my favourite of all--iambic pentameter. Shakespeare is ♥. (I just wish this was short enough to be painted on my wall, but then again, my mother will freak out.) When Marcus discovers his niece Lavinia, who has been raped and mutilated, her hands cut off and her tongue cut out, but still alive: Speak, gentle niece, what stern ungentle hands Hath lopped and hewed and made thy body bare Of her two branches, those sweet ornaments Whose circling shadows kings have sought to sleep in And might not gain so great a happiness As half thy love. Why dost not speak to me? Alas, a crimson river of warm blood, Like to a bubbling fountain stirred with wind, Doth rise, and fall between thy rosed lips. Coming and going with thy honey breath. But sure some Tereus hath deflowered thee And, lest thou shouldst detect him, cut thy tongue. Ah, now thou turn’st away thy face for shame, And notwithstanding all this loss of blood, As from a conduit with three issuing spouts, Yet do thy cheeks look red as Titan’s face, Blushing to be encountered with a cloud… A craftier Tereus, cousin, hast thou met, And he hath cut those pretty fingers off, That could have better sewed than Philomel O, had the monster seen those lily hands Tremble like aspen leaves upon a lute And make the silken strings delight to kiss them, He would not then have touched them for his life.
|
|